Friday 22 June 2012

Darter dip and Shrike tick!

On Sunday 17th June, hearing from some friends they had found a Large White- faced darter along Docwra's dyke, I was urged to keep it quiet there was no way the spot could be policed all the time and I was also very concerned about "collectors" coming to "obtain" one, let's be honest brutally murder it. See my earlier post re: the Southern Migrant Hawkers in Essex. So not a word from me, and no blogging until now, until Suffolk BINS/ RBA put the news out. I visited late morning, it was a blustery day and at the dyke with the bridge, I first spotted a female Blue-tailed Skimmer on the path, up to 3 Four- spotted Chasers seen perching by the reeds and 1 Hairy Hawker was buzzing about too. A Water Vole briefly swam through the reeds. Unfortunately, there was no sign of the hoped- for darter during my two hour vigil. On Wednesday 20th June, hearing of a Woodchat Shrike this time at Lowestoft at Gunton Cliff viewable from the bus stop opposite the Pitch and Putt entrance. Rob Wil, Andrew E, Paul & Jane were there and after 10 minutes the Woodchat Shrike, a probable female 1st year bird briefly popped up on some gorse. Later, it was seen and photographed perched deep in the gorse bush with just the head and shoulders showing. But overall a somewhat elusive bird.

No comments: