Sunday 7 November 2010

An eventful trip to Kessingland North Beach

A late morning foray to Link's Hill was too late to catch up with Snow Buntings seen earlier as the senses were assaulted by the very annoying sight and sound of a "whinning" radio controlled toy car was being "driven" around the grassy area by Warren House Wood. Noisy toy car = No birds.
But did see some tall Mushrooms (which I photo'd) on the North Denes, near Links rd car park, which I'll subsequently be able to ID next week when I get the field guide for my birthday!
Jenny & I then drove to Kessingland North Beach, Jenny elected to stay in the car being put off with the strong northerly breeze and brief rain shower.
I walked over to the Kessingland Shore Pools seeing Rob Wil, Andrew E and later on Chris D.
We first saw a single Snow Bunting around the Dunes and then Andrew E saw a flock of birds fly over a distant sand dune, they then flew south and flew past us, they turned out to be 22 Snow Buntings. 
Chris called us over and we saw the sad sight of a recently dead carcass of a Great Skua, its tail had separated from the body.
A more welcome sight were 4 calling Shore Larks that flew north along the beach and past us, they appeared to settle near the shore pools but later investigation failed to turn them up.
Meanwhile walking along the beach, the flock of Snow Buntings settled near me and were actively feeding, a birder walking his dog along the beach (was it Paul R?) kept his distance but considerately pushed the birds to within 20 feet of me and I took a few pics, albeit in poor light.
Finally, I thought I had seen 3 possible Mergansers flying north seen briefly through the bins I quickly swapped to my scope (set up on the steps going up the hill) but a dog crashed into the tripod and although the tripod and scope were OK it cost me a further view of the birds, that now remain unrecorded by me at least!

No comments: