Tuesday 23 March 2010

Not Swift enough!


I made the fatal mistake today of having my mobile phone switched off overnight, so I didn't receive the message about an Alpine Swift flying around St Peter's Court tower block at 6.58 am, Robert W very kindly phoned me on our home phone number at 7.20am but by the time I reached there at 7.27am I was 2 minutes too late & it had flown off, morale of the story always keep your phone switched on!
Compensation in the form of Wheatears and Black Redstarts 7 a-piece with 4 male Wheatears and 3 females and 1 stunning resplendent jet black male Black Redstart with white flashes on his wings and 6 females, were all confined in the south-east section off the Oval, an incredible number! Often the Wheatears & Black Redstarts would fly onto the grass fairly close to the wall, with the "Reddies" being more confiding and even one of their number a female Black Redstart; perched on the white cricket screen wheel very close to me, albeit as the light was fading. I phoned Robert W telling him what I'd just seen as I had seen him birding further north along the Denes.
We both enjoyed this amazing spectacle in the gathering gloom as mist and a little fog rolled in off the sea.

No comments: