Saturday 20 February 2010

Dip'n Run

A day of contrasts, the recent sightings of Waxwing came to an abrupt halt with again no Waxwings seen at Kirkley Cliff & the Ashburnham Way bird had sadly flown too.
At Kessingland sewage works, a female Grey Wagtail and male Reed Bunting seen. Several Meadow Pipits and around 20 Pied wagtails seen too, but no Firecrest.
I then had to go into work for a couple of hours in the middle of the day.
At Strumpshaw Fen, I saw regular correspondent Paul W, & from the Fen hide, I saw a Bittern fly away at 2.30pm and around 3.30pm but I didn't get the shots I hoped for. On the pool in front of the hide, 6 Teal and a redhead Smew swam out from behind the island on several occasions. Finally 6 Tufted Duck seen. Several female Marsh harriers seen too. In the woods, a Siskin was seen too.
Back in Lowestoft, at Burnt Hill Lane, I saw Andrew E (who had texted me earlier) and Don & Gwen M & I was able to look at an immature male Ruddy Shelduck who was associating with around 20 Egyptian geese in the north- west corner of the field.
Finally at 5.24pm whilst replenishing the bird feeders with sunflower seeds and fatballs, I got my avian thank you, with a fantastic Woodcock flying right over the west edge of the garden at roof height flying south and over Fallowfields. A new garden tick!

No comments: