Wednesday 28 October 2009

Dartford Delight


Having a rare morning Time off in lieu from work (because I am working this Saturday) I heard and saw a calling Siskin flew low over the house, sadly it didn't drop into the back garden as hoped.
On a local heath, a couple of calling Siskins also flew over and near the cleared area, I soon heard the distinctive scratchy "churr" of a male Dartford Warbler that would frequently forage in the undergrowth before perching high on the top of small bushes and small trees. It did a wide circuit around the area showing occasionally, it's distinctive call often revealing its presence. A lovely bird, but it would always frustratingly show looking directly into the sun. At the local stream, I heard the screech of a Water Rail and as I approached the stream a Water Rail ran off into the mass of Japanese knotweed, spooked by a father and daughter walking by.

No comments: