Monday 21 September 2009

Ortolan (Wheatear & Firecrest!)





Bright and early at 7.10am this morning, I was looking along the track 50 yards past Corton Old Sewage works, when I saw the excellent Ortolan Bunting along the path it flew to the field to the left then in the company of Meadow Pipits it flew again onto the path. As it flew it called a soft distinctive "quip" call. early morning about 60 Swallows flew North over the old Sewage plant. A Wheatear also hopped down the path, totally oblivious to me as it passed within 10 feet of me!
I then stalked the Ortolan very carefully down to about 18 feet and watched it as it fed by the side of the track on the edge of the field hopping in and out of the weedy edge of the field. I was then joined later by Clive N who managed to get a few shots of this lovely bird. After the bird hadn't been seen for a while we walked back but sadly the bird had been on the track all along and it flew calling once as it perched on the bushes behind the old sewage works.
I then walked down the Corton Old Rail Track and by the trees of the central track I heard the distinctive "wheezing" call of a Firecrest, I then very briefly saw it in the bushes to the right of the track before it quickly flitted out of view.

No comments: