Sunday 5 July 2009

Super Slow worms

Following on from my unsuccessful visit over a week ago, an afternoon foray today to one of my local patches in the Lowestoft area revealed a family of Reed Warblers in the reeds. An Oystercatcher also flew over.
Having walked over to the wooded area, I noticed several areas that were worthy of investigation
and of those 5 areas I was lucky in 3 where incredibly I saw 3 separate Slow Worms. The first quickly disappeared, but the second showed reasonably well I could see its head and body well before it eventually withdrew out of sight. Looking at this area again, I saw a small young Grass Snake which was black bodied with a prominent yellow collar but it quickly moved off. Finally in the other successful area I checked I saw the middle part of a Slow Worms body!
These are the first I have seen in this country having seen several abroad most notably in Southern Montenegro.
Driving back home, I saw a Lesser Whitethroat fly across the road and disappear into a hedge. 

No comments: