Sunday 13 October 2024

Desert Warbler at Winterton

On Sunday 6th October, a WhatsAp message stating there was a Desert Warbler at Winteron had me driving over and parking just north of the village. I walked out seeing Johnny and then a returning Rob H. I walked for around 3/4 mile north and saw a group of people by 2 bushes. The bird, a fine Asian Desert Warbler was initially incredibly elusive and I didn't even see it for the first 30 minutes. It did appear a lovely sandy colour being warmer brown on the tail and yellow eye and straw coloured legs. Glimpses of the bird was seen and then it flew to some bushes just east of there, 2 of the bushes it showed slightly better anbd I managed to get a few shots when it appeared in the gaps. Later on it even flew out flew within a foot of me and David B and perched by the side of the bush just 3 foot away. Meanwhile a juvenile Cuckoo flew right at the back of the dunes. A wonderful bird to see the last one I saw was on Blakeney Point, May 1993, over 31 years ago!

No comments: