Friday 4 February 2022

Specifically Pacific!

On Wednesday 2nd February, after I had cancelled my planned visit to Wales just before Christmas, a Pacific Diver had been spotted at Eglwys Nunydd reservoir, Port Talbot, Glamorgan in an area of no general access. Viewing areas were restricted from various points near the Grand Sultan restaurant, Water Road, Port Talbot or from a Bridge, the other side of the M4 motorway, which wasn't that appealing. Access was generally discouraged but the area is extensively used by local fishermen and a sailing club, so when details of where to actually visit became available from friends based at Ipswich and point blank views almost guaranteed, it became difficult to resist. With family commitments, I decided to give it a try. Having stopped off and parked just off the motorway by the start of an entrance road to a Crematorium, I walked past the gas works and accessed through the woods. Access was only available via the north east end and I estimated it was an exhausting 5 mile walk (there and back) to reach the extreme south-east end of the reservoir. Mainly due to having to carry 3 cameras, zoom lenses, bins, scope and trpod! Half way along the resrvoir walk was the Sailing Club was out in full force and I wondered if that might scare of the bird but the north east end was still 3/4 mile away and was left undisturbed. As I walked up I saw Tufted Duck and around 8 Goldeneye (3 males and 5 females) and then I saw the fantastic immature Pacific Diver! Really pleased to see it, especially after missing a bird at Llys-y- Fran reservoir, Pembrokeshire on a previous visit a few winters ago. As I walked around the area bordered by a grassy area and sheep, I passed the marshy SE corner of the reservoir. Just past a large bush the reservoir ledge wall started, it was a little precarious as the ledge was only 2 feet wide and leading to a steep slope to the waters edge of the reservoir. I immediately spotted the fantastic Diver only about 2 feet away. Typically, like a Black- throat, but I estimated it to be slightly smaller, no rear white flank patch and browner (chocolate brown) on head and sides of the neck side bordering some black giving a distinct suble difference. The white scaling on the back proving it was an immature bird. It was diving for several minutes then resurfacing again 20 feet away and I was able to move when it had dived in a position where I could carefully look back and try and get some shots. Initially, it took a Stickleback and juggled in its bill (again slightly smaller tahn a Black- throat), before gratefully gulping down its prey. Amongst a raft of slightly most distant waterfowl, included around c25 Great- crested Grebe, a nice group of around 25 Pochards, c40 Tufted Ducks also included a fine Slavonian Grebe that did once swim a little closer for a record shot, before swimming away again at a rapid pace. I was able to stoop down below the parapet and photo the diver as it swam around 20 foot (definitely "double Ferguson" views!) from the edge before swimming east and fishing just past a group of reeds. Bird of the year for me, so far!

3 comments:

David Bryant said...

Wonderful images (And the Grebe, too!)

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks David, well done yourself too on excellent images of the Red- breasted Goose, I am keen to see it if it returns to Cley Eye field.

Peter Ransome said...

Thanks David, well done yourself too, on excellent images of the Red- breasted Goose, I am keen to see it if it returns to Cley Eye field.