Saturday 20 November 2021

Birthday bonus: a fine afternoon out

On Sunday 14 November seawatching at Ness Point revealed very little I had received a puncture the day before. 15 November 2021, I had to work in the morning have to attend an important clinical skills MS Teams meeting. However by 12.30pm I was able to leave and I drove straight up to Waxham. Parking at the end of Penny Lane, I was fortunate to bump into Tony S. and he said he'd seen the Shrike all over! I walked down Penny Lane, no sign of it, but 2 Stonechats (first a male then joined by the female) seen on a line of bushes bordering the fields. So I walked north towards Waxham chuch along the path just east of the field. On walking back, I saw the excellent Great Grey Shrike fly across the field (oviously been inland somewhere) and it flew into a thicket half way along. No sign of it when I reached there, so I decided to look along the beach. In the far distance were around 30 adult Seals and 2 cream-white pups. Whilst out to sea, a Red- throated Diver sat fairly close in on the sea. Back at the car, I heard the contact call of a Yellowhammer and looking north-west along the road, I could see a fine male Yellowhammer perched atop of a tree and it was soon joined by a female Yellowhammer. I then heard about some Whoopers and parking near the farm shop at Inham, I looked east into a field, where there were aload of Mute Swans in a dip with a lake, just right of them were 6 fine Whooper Swans that swam left to join them. Driving back and parking back at Penny Lane looking due east and by the footpath to the Church, the fine Great Grey Shrike was seen very distantly in a bare spindly tree. Finally nearer, I stopped and counted 68 reasonably close Pink- footed Geese in the field just east of the road.

No comments: