Wednesday 2 June 2021

Woodchat Shrike at Benacre sluice

After work on Friday 28th May, I parked in the mobile caravan park and walked up to Kessingland sluice, couldn't see anybody there initially so I hobbled over to the Benacre sluice side and a birder motioned me over and walking behind him I joined him and had good scope views of the fine Woodchat Shrike initially perched on the left bside of a bush in the clump of bushes along the western edge of the sluice. The Shrike then disappeared then seen even further away perched on top of a flowering bush. I decided to slowly hobble back. A female Wheatear was seen on the grassy area by the now much diminished pit (half the size it usually is). I also saw several Linnets including an impressive double pink bibbed male which was particularly striking by the bush near the shore edge. Hobbling over to the Kessingland side, sticking to the main path, I first saw Chris D and he was very fortunate to see a wonderfully Hobby fly right over his head and south. From the main path, I saw the Woodchat Shrike perched on top a bush around 30 metres away, I stood still by the main path & it flew towards me perching only 10 metres away from me, sadly the bird was obscured by an overhanging bramble branch but I stayed stock still as I didn't want to move, in order not to disturb the bird, so no pics, but it soon flew again (it appeared to be hunting) and I lost it from view. A "person" was gesturing" the other side of the sluice indicating I should move east (???) (I was still on the main path) so I moved east sticking to the main path and I only checked the bushes from distance by the sluice pumping station, but not seeing anything, I hobbled back. By now my foot was really sore and I eventually made my way back to the car. After this I had to rest my foot for the next few days, so birding trips completely curtailed sadly.

No comments: