Thursday 29 August 2019

Bedstraw Hawkmoth at Hemsby

On Wednesday 29th August, I received a text from John H stating he had just trapped a Bedstraw Hawkmoth and I could pop over after work to see at 8.10pm. Only 3 days previously we had been talking about precisely this scenario and how keen I would be to see and get pictures of such a stunning moth! So at 8.10pm on the dot, I was outside John's house in Hemsby and John brought the stunning Bedstraw Hawkmoth into the kitchen. I t did not disappoint it was a real stunner. The kitchen worktop was the lightest source (always nbest photographing Moths in full daylight rather than artificial light)in the house and I managed to get a few pics of the Moth on an egg box and a special bit of wood I had brought until disaster, my 7D SLR camera electronics suddenly failed. John later released it outside, we thought it had flown but it was perched in the doorjam and John very carefully removed it to a safer area where it finally flew. I was extremely grateful to John for the shout on this one and a real privilege to see such a fine beastie!

No comments: