Tuesday 28 August 2018

Insects, Black Terns & Cattle Egret

On Monday 27th August, a Painted Lady was seen early morning on the garden boodle, a Bush cricket seen on a bush too plus a Shield Bug. Mid afternoon I travelled over to Rollesby broad and saw Dave H and his wife looking over Ormsby Little Broad, 3 winter- plumaged Black Terns were flying over the channel over the far side of the broad flying over a sky blue masted yacht and showing black spot behind the eye and smoky grey mantle. They had the characteristic "dipping" buoyant marsh tern flight action too. Always a delight to see but sobering to recollect the last time I saw this species was with Ricky last Spring. an immature Mediterranean Gull also seen flying over in the distance too. Parking at Burgh castle Church, walking to the first kissing gate, at first I could not pick up the Cattle Egret, but I eventually located it, the fine Cattle Egret walking around Cattle, of course. I had to stand on the kissing gate to see anything of it as it was often obscured. Seeing Dave H in the distance half way along the walk, I retraced my steps and had clear interrupted views of this bird as it was seen walking around the Cattle, often crouching down low with its head barely above the ground and held parallel before it snapped up a tasty morsel or two. Again a fine plumaged bird with cinnamon buff heah and back.

No comments: