Sunday 13 November 2016

Snow Bunting, Velvet Scoter and Mealy Redpoll all around Ness Point

Back at Ness Point, on Sunday 13th November, no sign of the Snow B by Coastguards, I could see the reason why there was a photographer with a 300mm lens hassling the Snow Bunting by the seawall and he was getting far too close and the bird was hopping several metres away each time, until he finally forced it to fly. I guessed it would go back to the Coastguards and by the Sailors Hut. I went back and it was indeed there and flew back down to feed on the seeds from the grassy vegetation. As I was watching it at 1.30pm, a fine Velvet Scoter flew north very close in, I spent too long admiring it through the bins, as I was just a little too late trying to get the camera onto it. Back at Ness Point as it was low tide no Purple Sands, but 2 Turnstones posed on the rock bathed in the warm glow of the setting sun. Back home I read on Twitter of a Mealy Redpoll by weeds just north of Bird's Eye, I drove straight back and walking up to the weedy patch just east of the net posts and immediately spotted the bird, the excellent Mealy Redpoll, perched in some tall vegetation feeding voraciously on seeds. It later flew up to another stem, feeding more out in the open. Some dog walkers, decided to walk straight past me and enquire what it was, which wasn't what I needed when I was still trying to secure some pics. On Monday 14th, a Grey Wagtail was heard calling over the house, as I left for work

No comments: