Monday 23 April 2012

Nightingale on Denes slope

On Saturday 21st April, walking behind the Oval, just emerging on the North Denes by the large bramble bush, a Whitethroat could be heard singing in subsong emerged from the bush and showed well briefly, my first of the year. Further along the North Denes slope, I heard another Whitethroat too. Also here on the Dunes was a pale Small Tortoiseshell. Just past the Pines, I briefly heard the song of an excellent Nightingale coming from a bush near the top of the slope. My first record of one in Lowestoft, I had heard 2 previously both at Fisher Row in the 1980's by the Tea garden and by the slope bordering the rear gardens of Prospect rd. I joined Steve J & 2 retriever dogs leapt up the slope and were interested in something and it wasn't until they disappeared some 15 minutes later that we heard the Nightingale sing again albeit briefly at 10.30 am. As we walked along the Denes first 3 then 4 Swallow flew South. I decided to look at the Ting Dene mobile caravan site which is now fenced off and I was delighted to see 2 resplendent male Wheatears in the what is fast becoming their favourite area the south west corner. By crawling along carefully I was eventually able to enjoy views down to 15 feet, when they ran towards me, oblivious to my presence. I naturally made the most of this opportunity, photographically. In the afternoon, following a tweet I joined Paul & Jane, James B & Paul W by Gunton Cliff looking down on the bush where the Nightingale was heard it actually sang in the same bushy scrubby area half way down the bank which so aroused the curiosity of the retrievers in the morning! 2 male Blackcaps flew out and into a bush near the top. way out to sea, paul spotted some Sand Martins and I saw 1 Sand Martin flying north. Heading towards Corton Old sewage works, I received the shock of this year so far, when I literally leapt out of my skin when 2 gunshot/ cannon shot blasted off in quick succession right beside me as I walked along the concrete track towards the old sewage works. My ears were ringing and walking along the cliff I failed to see any Sand Martins at all, but there were a pair of Wheatears (male and female) on the Broadlands Sands Green. My first Willow Warbler heard from the garden of the year coming from the direction of Fallowfields/ Parkhill Hotel grounds.

No comments: