Thursday 7 January 2010

More Winter Thrushes & please feed the birds

As I was replenishing the bird feeders in the garden this morning at 7.50am I heard the tell tale "psst" call of Redwings and a trio of these lovely small Scandinavian Thrushes flew up from the hedgerow borders and over the garden fence. I also heard the "chuk chuk chuk" call of 3 excellent Fieldfares flying overhead that flew low south west over the garden and towards Fallowfields. As I was filling up the one of sunflower holders, a Redwing flew and briefly perched in the tree above me before seeing me and flying off.
As I retreated to the house, 3 Dunnocks, 3 Great Tits, a Blue Tit, 3 Blackbirds and fed in the garden as did a Magpie briefly and a Song Thrush perched up in a bush just beyond the garden.
A Redwing then perched up in a tree, I took some pictures in poor light it was snowing! It then flew to the lawn where it stood momentarily before it flew to the berry laden holly near the house sadly out of view from the bedroom window.
Jenny later told me she saw 2 Redwings feeding on the berries on the holly this afternoon at 2.58pm.
Please, please don't forget to feed your garden birds; they desperately need all the food and water (unfrozen!) they can get in this hard weather. The food you put out, such as sunflower seeds, unsalted peanuts, wild bird mix, fatballs, fat, cake etc are vital to their survival. Put food out on different levels (on the ground, on a bird table and hanging from trees etc) and put out nestboxes for roost sites too.
You could save several birds lives and they will reward you with good views and hopefully good pics, if you are a keen photographer and the light is OK!

No comments: